When the ball is lying in a greenside bunker, the most lofted club should be used, which is either a sand wedge or a lob wedge. The set-up is altered to execute the most successful shots, follow these guidelines to help.
- create extra loft by opening up the clubface
- the clubface should still remain facing to the target, even though it is open
- aim the body to the left to create an open stance
- position the ball forwards towards the front foot
- grip the club, lightly, maintaining the open clubface
- pick a spot, approximately 1-2” before the ball where the club should enter the sand
- swing up into a full backswing
- bring the club back to the sand by allowing the swing to travel across the line of the feet, meeting the club 1-2” before the ball so the club contacts the sand first. The clubface should return facing open as it was in the address position.
- continue the swing past the body, turning to face towards the target with a completed follow through.